1. 1/2 cup Vijayalakshmi urad dal.
2. 1 tbsp fenugreek (methi) seeds.
3. 2 cups par-boiled rice (ukda chawal)
4. 3 tbsp thick beaten rice (jada poha)
5. salt to taste
Method For idli
1. Combine the Vijayalakshmi urad dal and fenugreek seeds and enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 hours.
2. Combine the par-boiled rice and thick beaten rice and enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 hours.
3. Wash and drain the urad dal and fenugreek seeds and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 1 cup of water. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and keep aside.
4. Wash and drain the par-boiled rice and thick rice flakes and blend in a mixer to a slightly coarse paste using approx. 1½ cups of water. Add this mixture to the urad dal-fenugreek seeds mixture, add the salt and mix very well.
5. Cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 12 hours.
6. After fermentation, mix the batter well once again and pour spoonfuls of the batter into each of the greased idli moulds.
7. Steam in an idli steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till they are cooked.
8. Once the idlisare cooked, cool them slightly. Dip a spoon in the water and using this spoon loosen the sides of idli and demould them. Keep aside.
9. Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis
10. Serve the idlis hot with sambhar, coconut chutney and malgapodi.