Urad Dal Kachori
Urad Dal Kachori
1. 1 cup all purpose flour
2. 1 cup whole wheat flour
3. ½ teaspoon baking powder
4. ½ teaspoon salt
6. soaked ½ cup Vijayalakshmi urad dal
7. ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
8. 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
9. 1 teaspoon chopped green chilli
10. ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
11. ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
12. ½ teaspoon coriander powder
13. ½ teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
1. In a mixing bowl or pan take 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt.
2. Mix very well with a spoon or wired whisk.
3. Then add 3 tablespoons ghee. You can also add 3 tablespoons oil.
4. Rub the fat in the flours with your fingertips and mix very well. you should get a bread crumb like texture in the flour. When you hold a portion of the mixture in your palm, it should not fall apart and break, but hold itself.
5. Then add water in parts.
6. Begin to knead.
7. Add enough water to make a smooth soft dough. I added ⅓ cup of water. You can add less or more depending on the quality of flours. Cover with a moist cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Preparing urad dal kachori filling
1. Rinse a couple of times and then soak ½ cup urad dal in enough water for 3 to 4 hours or overnight. then drain all the water.
2. add the urad dal in a grinder jar.
3. without adding no water or adding very less water, grind to a semi fine or a coarse paste. Do not make a fine paste. I added 3 tablespoons water while grinding. Keep the paste aside. Remove the paste aside and keep. Scrape off the sides with a spatula or a spoon and it to the bowl containing urad dal paste. The paste is slightly slimy and sticky. So it is better you remove it aside first in a separate plate or bowl.
4. Heat ½ tablespoon ghee in a pan. Add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
5. Then add 1 teaspoon chopped ginger, 1 teaspoon chopped green chilli.
6. Saute till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
7. Keep the flame to a low or you can switch off the flame. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
8. Also add ½ teaspoon crushed fennel seeds or fennel powder.
9. mix very well.
10. Then add the urad dal paste.
11. On a low flame first mix and then begin to saute the urad dal paste. You do need to apply some pressure from your hands while mixing.
12. Add salt as per taste.
13. Mix again and with frequent stirring cook the urad dal paste till it thickens and dries a bit.
14. The consistency of the paste should not be liquidy but dry and like a dough. allow the paste to cool.
15. Then make small balls from the urad dal mixture.
Making urad dal kachori
1. Also make the same number of balls from the dough.
2. Spread some oil on the dough ball and roll to a round circle of about 5 to 6 inches in width.
3. Flatten the stuffing and then place it on the dough circle.
4. Pleat and then join the edges bringing them to the center.
5. Press the top. Be careful to seal the edges properly.
6. Again roll into a circle of 5 to 6 inches width. Prepare all kachoris this way. Keep them in a large plate and cover with a moist kitchen cloth.
Frying urad dal kachori
7. Heat oil for deep frying in a pan or kadai.
8. Check the oil temperature by adding a tiny piece of dough in it. If it comes steadily and gradually on top, the oil is medium hot and ready for the kachoris to be fried.
9. Gently place the kachoris in the hot oil. Fry at a low-medium or medium flame.
10. Gently nudge with a slotted spoon, so that they start puffing up.
11. When one side is golden and the oil has stopped spluttering, turn over and fry the other side.
12. Fry till the second side is also golden and the oil has stopped sizzling. Some of the kachori will puff up and some won’t. But its fine as they still taste good.
13. This one got extra browned as I was taking the pics. remove with a slotted spoon.
14. Place them on kitchen paper towels. Fry all the kachori this way.
15.Serve urad dal kachori hotwith rasedar aloo or dubki wale aloo or with mango pickle.