Urad dal Laddu
Urad dal Laddu
1. 230 grams Vijayalakshmi urad dal
2. 70 grams sugar or ⅓ cup sugar. used organic unrefined cane sugar
3. 80 grams ghee (clarified butter) or ⅓ cup ghee at room temperature
4. 3 to 4 green cardamoms(choti elaichi)
Roasting And Preparing Urad Dal Flour
1. Heat a thick bottomed pan or kadai on a low flame. Then add 1 cup Vijayalakshmi urad dal in it.
2. If you want you can rinse the Vijayalakshmi urad dal first. Spread the lentils on a plate or tray or on a cloth. Dry the lentils naturally or in sunlight. Once the lentils have dried, then add them in the kadai. If you want you can add directly too.Keep the flame on low or sim and begin to roast the Vijayalakshmi urad dal.
3. Continue to stir often while roasting. Keep on roasting and stirring for even browning and cooking. Roasting Vijayalakshmi urad dal well is very important or else there can be stomach aches.
4.The Vijayalakshmi urad dal needs to be golden and become aromatic. Your kitchen will smell with the aroma of roasted Vijayalakshmi urad dal.
5. Keep on stirring without a break once the Vijayalakshmi urad dal begins to get light golden.
6. When the Vijayalakshmi urad dal become golden, then cool them in the pan itself or you can remove the Vijayalakshmi urad dal in a plate and let it cool.
7. Once the Vijayalakshmi urad dal have become warm or cooled down, add them in a grinder jar. Also add cardamom seeds removed from 3 to 4 green cardamom pods.
8. Grind to a fine powder.
9. Now take the Vijayalakshmi urad dal flour in a fine seive.
10. Begin to sift the flour on a plate or tray or a large bowl or pan.
11. Keep the sifted Vijayalakshmi urad dal flour aside.
1. In the same grinder, add 1/3 cup sugar.
2. Grind sugar to a fine powder.
Making Urad Dal Laddu
1. Now add the powdered sugar to the Vijayalakshmi urad dal flour. If you want you can even sift the sugar and then add.
2. Mix very well.
3. Now melt 1/3 cup ghee in a pan. You just need to melt the ghee and not heat it.
4. If adding dry fruits, you can add some sliced or chopped dry fruits at this step and saute them in ghee till they become light golden.
5. Add the melted ghee to urad dal + sugar mixture.
6. Mix very well with a spatula or spoon.
7. The ladoo mixture will have a molten consistency and will be a bit fluid. Now let this mixture cool down at room temperature and let the ghee solidify.
8. Once the mixture becomes dense, then you can easily shape the mixture into ladoos.
9. Make small to medium sized Vijayalakshmi urad dal ladoos. From the warmth of your hands, the ladoos will soften while you shape them.
10. Prepare ladoos like this with all of the mixture.
11. You can even offer these Vijayalakshmi urad dal ladoo to the deities as naivedyam or serve to your family.
12. Store the remaining Vijayalakshmi urad dal laddu in an air tight box or jar and refrigerate.